Wednesday, 30 December 2009

N332 - up and down on the Costas


There are new facilities on the N332
! This well-known road leads from north to south and vice versa along the Mediterranean coast of Spain. And now the good old N332 has acquired an interesting feature involving oranges and young ladies. Before the motorways came, way back in the 20th century, this national road was the main route from Valencia to Almeria province and back again! As I write these remarks here in my area of the Northern Costa Blanca there will be those of you north and south of me who let this name 'N332'  trip off their tongue several times a day. It is the main road for local travel.There will be many like me who regard the N332 with great familiarity and at least some affection.

I live about 5 kilometres coastward of it. To go south I can join it at Teulada, and to go north I would join just north of Gata de Gorgos - where all those shops selling baskets nestle adjacent to each other. Suppose you leave Gata and drive northwards out of town passing Bricoman (for Bricolage) and continue north. This is the part of the road where I first noticed the young ladies. On both sides the orange groves are open to the road. Very soon you may notice some young ladies standing at the edge of the road. There is often a white plastic chair just behind them in the orange grove, so sometimes they presumably sit rather than parade or pose facing the oncoming traffic.They are not all in one place, you understand, sometimes there might be a girl alone, but more often a pair of girls. 

They wear very short skirts and skimpy tops. In fact, I am sure I saw one the other day who had skimped the top altogether. Unfortunately, I could not stop the car at that particular time in order to be sure as the N332 has very few places where it is possible to do a U-turn without considerable risk to other road users. And it is illegal. Plus the fact that my wife was with me at the time. 

And to complete my report of sightings - I've also seen a young lady in a bikini - which is a bit strange in an orange grove by a national road.

According to a friend of mine who lives on a hillside looking down on the N332, his wife has commandeered his binoculars. When he finally gets down his hill on to the N332, the girls wave at him as he passes in his car. But when he passes with his wife also in the car, they do not wave at him.

I remember that there used to be some quite heavily dressed women who waited beside the N332 near a night club north of Pedreguer. They disappeared a long time ago. The current feature with scantily clad ladies appeared only about 18 months ago but I do see an improvement in the staffing of whatever it is that they represent. When I asked the Guardia Civil patrolmen about these new young ladies the other day one of them said he did not know what I was talking about. The other suggested that they might be a tourist facility.

I suppose the girls might conduct visitors around the orchards perhaps demonstrating how to handle the oranges. I hope that thousands of tourists have been able to enjoy this new facility the last two summers. Enough anyway to make them want to be back for more oranges.
Because of my affection for the old N332 I just wonder if this facility is available anywhere else along this fine road from Valencia to Vera. Vera by the way is a town: the town where the N332 sadly ends in the province of Almeria. It's a shame really that the old road doesn't go on to Gibraltar and Algeciras providing a lot more of this interesting tourist facility. Of course, the oranges will run out going further south; but then oranges are not the only fruit.

No photograph
.
As you may know I usually have a photograph to go with my information about the area. But for this piece, to my regret, I have not yet been able to take one. Every time I stop my car on the N332 to ask one of the girls to let me take a photo she mentions ridiculous money. I am so disgusted by her cheek that I am thinking of informing the authorities of the Valencian Community. Presumably they are responsible for their tourism staff.  



3 comments:

  1. Very informative Blog. I recently bought a house down on Monte Pego and often wondered at these young 'Tourist Guides' Any idea what their rates are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm considering speaking to the Alcaldi as they don't seem to be following an equal opportunities policy. There aren't any young male guides which seems a bit unfair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. See this article:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7547224/Prostitutes-sign-confuses-motorists.html

    ReplyDelete