Tuesday, 2 June 2009

Pretty Little Nisperos

The pretty little nisperos in a neighbour's garden; they are not quite ready to eat. Their colour and the dark green pointed oval leaves of the plant have been a pleasure to look at for weeks now.

And in the mountains looking down on Benidorm there are orchards of nisperos.
I know that some people enjoy eating them, but do they have other uses? Jam?

On Shikoku, the fourth largest island of the Japanese archipelago, they were wrapped in brown paper while still on the tree, each fruit. Why?

To keep them clean for the meticulous Japanese customer? To keep birds and insects off them? I think the latter. But I am not sure!

This fruit is also known as the loquat, see Wikipedia for more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loquat

For photos of Rolf and Erika's (our Swiss neighbours) house where the nisperos are right now you can click on the link above or go to http://www.calistro.net/

3 comments:

  1. We do enjoy eating them ! Of course there are lots of big pips but you just have to spit them out. For the rest: they are really delicious and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou, Netty! I did try them years ago in Japan but maybe I'll try them again. I like the sound of spitting out the pips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wondering what these fruits are, and now I know! Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete